Dr. Tony Chang
Board Certified, Family Medicine
Board Certified, Fellowship Trained, Sports Medicine, Spine and Therapeutic Injections
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine, University of California, Davis
Certified Professional Tennis Coaching Instructor, United States Professional Tennis Association
Joining Shasta Orthopaedics in September 2010, Dr. Chang adds an exciting skill set to our Sports Medicine Program.
As a primary care Sports Medicine Physician, Dr. Chang looks at athletes from multiple perspectives, including nutrition and general health issues, that provide important insight to complement to the very focused expertise of our Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Physicians, Physical Therapists and Athletic Trainers.
Dr. Chang’s Experience Includes:
- 2016-17 Medical Resident Teacher of the Year (for the second time) as a UC Davis Medical School and Residency faculty member in Redding.
- Team Physician, Shasta College athletic programs
- Team Physician, Simpson University athletic programs
- Team Physican, Justin Boots Sports Medicine Team for PRCA (the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association)
- Team Physician, USA Boxing/MMA Association
- Helping prepare the USA Olympic Ski Team and Jamaica Ski Teams for the Vancouver Olympics
- Nevada Sports Medicine team physician for more than 400 Division I student athletes, both locally and as their traveling physician during competitions
- Associate Medical Director to Tahoe Rim Trail Ultra Endurance Run and coordinated medical team
- Extensive writing and publication on critical sports medicine topics
Dr. Chang’s Impressive Training And Education Includes:
- Sports Medicine Fellowship from the University of Nevada, Reno
- Board Certification in Family Medicine from the University of California, Davis, including a Family Medicine Residency at Mercy Medical Center, Redding
- Surgery Internship at the University of Southern California
- Clinical Research at the University of California Los Angeles Comprehensive Spine Center
- Medical Doctorate from St. George’s University School of Medicine
- Master of Science in Biomedical Science from the University of Miami, Barry
- Completion of the Health Careers Program at Harvard University
- BA Human Biodynamics/Integrated Biology at the University of California, Berkeley
- Joint and spine therapeutic injections
- Sports nutrition, performance, and enhancement
- Mixed martial arts/boxing, scuba diving
Dr. Chang is fluent and literate in four languages: Mandarin, Taiwanese, Japanese, and English. In his spare time, he enjoys building golf clubs, tennis, surfing, snowboarding, playing guitar, and cooking.
Learn more about our Sports Medicine Services »