POSITION: Cast Technician
RESPONSIBLE TO: Manager and Physicians
JOB SUMMARY: Provide professional cast/orthopaedic care, under supervision, for clinic patients.
- High school diploma required
- Registered or Certified Orthopaedic Technician (ROT), experience in orthopaedic care and medical assistant experience a plus
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least two years of experience in a physician office or hospital
- Experience calling in pharmacy requests
- Comfortable using email and interacting with Internet applications
- Knowledge of practice management and word processing software
- Pleasant speaking voice and demeanor;
- Good communication skills and the ability to perform patient education duties
- Neat, professional appearance
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING:
General Patient Care
- Greets patients and escorts them from the reception room to the exam room; prepares patients for exam and/or treatment as directed by physician
- Prepares patient in exam room and puts record on door for physician
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments
- Assists physicians in preparing for examinations and minor procedures
- Returns patient phone messages at designated times throughout the day; documents action taken in patient record
- Triages incoming telephone calls as needed; instructs patient and family regarding treatment instruction, then documents action taken in patient record
- Telephones prescription requests to pharmacy as needed; documents action in patient record and obtains physician signature of approval
- Performs patient education duties; shows surgical videos, hands out brochures, and directs patients to specific Internet sites for more information
Casting Services and Area
- Escorts patients to casting area, and prepares them for application
- Applies and removes casts, splints, and dressings, as directed by physician
- Educates patients about cast care and follow up instructions
- Replenishes supplies—stocks and cleans casting area
- Bids out casting supply and recommends vendor to Manager
- Recommends equipment and inventory purchases to Manager
- Disposes of contaminated items according to OSHA guidelines
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations
- Maintains patient confidentiality; complies with HIPAA and compliance guidelines established by the practice
- Maintains detailed knowledge of practice management and other computer software as it relates to job functions
- Maintains certification for BLS and ROT, attends applicable OSHA and CLIA training programs
- Attends all regular meetings
- Performs all other tasks and projects assigned by the Manager or physicians
- Observes established SOSM and department policies and procedures, including confidentiality, safety, infection control and other environmental regulations.
- Meets organizational standard for attendance, punctuality and use of break times.
- Actively participates in all training, educational sessions and meetings.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Performs all other tasks and projects assigned by the Manager or Physicians.